Pages

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Getting Cozy: Styling Bookshelves

Since talking about some of my favourite books last week, it got me looking at my bookcases, and more specifically, the shelves.
(Don't mind the 'messiness' on the bottom two shelves. Work in progress going on there...)
I personally, love decorating bookshelves, but I know for a lot of people, it is a daunting task. The reason I know this, is because when I browse Pinterest, there are tons of pictures dedicated to 'how to's' to styling bookshelves. 
My first suggestion is to start with a blank slate. Clear everything off the shelves and put everything on the floor or the coffee table. Start with your books. Push a few to the back of the bookcase so you have lots of space for your accessories. Stack some on top of each other, biggest to smallest. Tilt a few on their side.
When you are done with your books, then grab your accessories and picture frames and start placing them on the shelves. As you can see, I like to put a few frames and accessories (I like that word better than 'knick knacks') on top of stacked books.
Place some items on top of a stack of books. Don't be afraid of 'hiding' your books with putting accessories in front of the books. Layers allow the eye to see more than just your books. (Although books are nice. Believe me, I understand.)
Since my shelves have the pallet backing (you can read how we did that that here), I stuck a push pin into the back and hung a few of my hoop art and a clipboard with printable art. Again, it creates that layered look.
 
Now grab a blanket, a warm drink, and a book and make yourself cozy as you look at your freshly styled bookshelves!

This is day 9 of our Getting Cozy series. 
To catch up on the rest of the series, click below: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment below! We'd love to know what you think. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...