Pages

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The Heidi Cowl - A Tutorial

It's September! The season of leaves turning colour, pumpkin spice lattes, apples, and cozy cowls. 

Cowls are my favourite thing to make. They don't take very long, only use a couple skeins of yarn, and you can usually finish them in one night. I have tons and tons of patterns for cowls but I decided to make up my own the other night. Something quick and easy.. and of course fast!

Introducing the Heidi Cowl. Yes, I named it after my sister because she called dibs on it first! It's long enough to double up, but not too long so that it hangs down to your pants. 



If you're new to crochet, don't worry, this is the cowl for you! 


You'll need:

Two skeins of bulky yarn (I used Bernat Roving in Bark)
6.5mm crochet hook
A basic understanding of crochet terms

Glossary:
sc - single crochet
dc - double crochet
ch - chain
sl - slip stitch
sk - skip

Chain 82. Being careful not to twist, join with a sl to the beginning chain. 
Round 1: Ch 1. Sc in the same chain. Sc in every ch and sl in the ch 1. 
Round 2: Ch 3. Sk 1 ch and dc in the next ch. *Ch 1, sk 1, dc in the next ch. Ch 1.* Repeat around, join with a sl in ch 3. 
Round 3: Repeat round 1. 
Round 4: Repeat round 2.
Round 5 - 7: Repeat round 1.
Round 8: Repeat round 2.
Round 9 - 11: Repeat round 1.
Round 12: Repeat round 2.
Round 13 - 15: Repeat round 1.
Round 16: Repeat round 2.
Round 17: Repeat round 1. 
Round 18: Repeat round 2.
Round 19: Repeat round 1. 
Weave in the ends.

Congrats, you're done! Now you can pair it with your favourite chambray shirt, dark skinnies, and tall leather boots.. maybe I should've kept it for myself?  


If you have any questions or find any mistakes in the pattern, just let me know!



9 comments:

  1. Hi there, I found your cowl pattern on Ravelry and would love to try and make it as I am making tons of different cowls for Christmas gifts. However, I noticed Round 5 was not mentioned in the directions. Could you please tell me if Round 5 is a repeat of Round 1 or 2? Thanks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing that out for me. I've fixed the pattern. For round #5, repeat round 1. I'd love to see pictures of how your cowl turns out!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I'll post photos on Ravelry when i'm finished. Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi. I'm new to crochet, but LOVE the look of this scarf and really want to make it. I'm not clear about what "and sl in the ch 1." in row 1 means. Could you explain? I think it means to join in the first chain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you decided to make one. I just finished my second one over the weekend. Once you get going it's a fast project! The "SL in the CH 1" simply means to join your last chain with the first chain. Be very careful not to twist the chains or else your project will turn out a little wonky. There are plenty of great tutorials out there if you're still confused!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I'm going to start tonight :-)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm all set to make this cowl for my daughter for Christmas this year but I'd like to make it a little longer. Could you please tell me the multiple of stitches required? I really appreciate it! TIA!

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment below! We'd love to know what you think. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...