Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Laundry Day

One of the best things that I've found around Pinterest are all the pins about household hints and how to make your life easier. I have a whole board devoted to it! But out of all my pins, the one that I refer back to the most is this one:

                                                                  Source: thriftyandfabuless.blogspot.com via Melody on Pinterest

My children tend to stain their clothes a lot. Bella is a very messy child and when she was younger, she drooled so much, I would have to have a bib on her or she would go through 4 or 5 shirts. Sienna is not really a drooler but instead, her problems come from - I can't really put this any other way - pooping so much that it comes out of her diapers. Unfortunately, both drool and poop do not generally come out of clothes unless you put a stain remover on them or just bleach them. I don't actually own any bleach and most stain removers can get expensive or they are full of chemicals so I don't like to use them unless the stains are horrendous. Enter this pin. I've changed it up a bit to be what I believe is a bit more effective but the basic recipe is the same:

1 cup of water
1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide (I get mine from the dollar store!)
1/2 cup baking soda

I also add 1/2 cup white vinegar to help whiten and soften the load. These ingredients I store in a container next to my laundry detergent. Whenever there is a really bad stain, I use these directions and for the most part, I've been able to get out most stains!

Fill a container with almost-boiling water. Add in a generous amount of the home-made oxy-clean and a good squirt of liquid dishwashing soap. Make sure the clothes are fully submerged. Let it sit for a minimum of four hours or more if it is a bad stain. I usually let mine sit over-night. Pour the clothes and extra liquid into your washing machine and wash as usual.

This shirt sat for four hours in the stain-remover before I washed it:



Now she can wear it again and I don't have to have my children wearing stained clothes everywhere!


What are your best laundry tips? Do you have any amazing stain removals? 

Tip Junkie handmade projects


12 comments:

  1. Oh - LOVE this - I'll definitely be giving it a try. I've pinned some things on making my own laundry and dishwasher soap, but have yet to try either. This looks simple and we have stain issues in this house too! Thanks!

    By the way - consider linking up to my Sunday post - from pins to projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've pinned a few for laundry and dishwasher soap but I've yet to try them too. Maybe some day? I'll definitely link up, thanks! :)

      Delete
    2. awesome - and by the way, I tagged you (and your sisters!) in a post today:
      http://www.thebinkertation.com/2012/01/tag-its-my-turn-whos-next.html

      Delete
  2. I think I might have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always soaking clothes in oxy clean for one of my three girls! Definitely gets expensive. I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to use oxy-clean all the time but it gets really expensive with soaking everything for two kids. This costs about 50 cents to make and will last me about 5-10 loads!

      Delete
  4. Do you add the vinegar in the soak or in the wash? I've gotta try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops! I guess I didn't clarify that very well. I add it to the soak, I just don't store it in the bottle. Sorry about that!

      Delete
  5. This is definitely going to come in handy at my house! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to pin this one. Thanks for the tip. We are just about to run out of oxy-clean so the timing was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for linking up on Pins to Projects - I can't wait to take this one on - so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you add this to a full load in the washer?

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment below! We'd love to know what you think. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...