Pages

Saturday, March 31, 2012

A Tip for Cinderella

 Sometimes life isn't so glamorous. Let's be honest. My life really doesn't have a smidgen of anything glamorous in it. I'm a mom. I clean snotty noses and change dirty diapers. I usually wear my hair up in a ponytail, mainly because I haven't been to get it cut in f.o.r.e.v.e.r. (like September) and secondly, because the time runs away from me in the morning. I do dishes. Make beds (sometimes). Do laundry. Vacuum. Clean the bathroom. Etc. Etc. Etc.

 Then I work outside our home part time as well. As a children's director at our church. That isn't the most glamorous job either. You know what though? It's okay. I love my life and I wouldn't have it any other way. 

All that to say, I know that I mostly post about prettying up my home. Spray painting, making cheap art, bedroom makeovers. The fun stuff! But today it's about cleaning. It is Saturday after all. 

Growing up, Saturday was always a crank up the music and clean your little heart out day. I guess I carried the tradition into my own home, because Saturdays are my day to get everything in order to start the week off on a good (clean house) foot. So get ready to crank up your music and clean your little heart out. I have a tip for cleaning your wood floors. 

The tip is tea. I'm not saying hire a maid and drink tea while she cleans your floors. Although that wouldn't be too bad. (I originally saw this idea here.)

(P.s. Please don't pin that picture from here. If you click it you can go on to the DIY Network and pin it there. I don't want people to think that those are my beautiful hardwood floors.) 

Take boiling water, steep two tea bags in the water for a few minutes. After vacuuming your floors, take a cloth and dip it into the tea and wash your floors with the tea. The tannic acid from the tea helps bring out the shine. 

I used tea that was sitting in my teapot (just from the night before) and warmed it up in the microwave till it was almost at boiling point. I wrapped a rag around the bottom of my Swiffer dry mop because there was no way I was going to get down on my hands and knees and wash my whole floor. 




Here are my floors before: 





 Alrighty. So after I gave the floors a good mop here's what they looked like. 





This was a really simple, cheap, healthy way to give my floors a quick wash. I didn't find that they were sticky at all afterwards. I don't know if they gleam as nicely as the original photo shows, but my floors are pretty old too. All that I know is that my son's pj's aren't covered with dirt anymore (ya, gross. I should really wash the floors more often) and I reused the tea that was just going to go down the sink. 

 So what's your favourite cleaning music? When we were growing up, it was Petra. Never heard of them? Google them and get ready to be blown away by some great cleaning music. :)  

Happy weekend and happy cleaning!


1 comment:

  1. I think that's an impressive before and after - I have hardwood throughout my house, so I might just have to try it!

    Link up at my site today, so others can see :)
    http://www.thebinkertation.com/2012/04/pins-to-projects-sunday-mini-corn-dog.html

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment below! We'd love to know what you think. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...