In the spirit of getting my year off to a good start, I decided not to have sugar or wheat for the month of January. Sounds pretty scary and hard, but it's actually not too bad. I gave myself until yesterday to start since I had another party to go to on the 1st.
Even though it's not for the whole year, I think it's a pretty good idea. Get myself into shape for the rest of the year!
It will mean taking more time to think about what I'm consuming for my meals and snacks. It will mean not eating out for an entire month (I can do that, right??) And it will mean being more creative so that I don't get stuck in the meal "rut".
If you're thinking about trying this out with me, I have a few tips for better success:
1) Start on a weekend if you know you're going to be busy. There's nothing worse than having a headache on the busiest day of your week!
2) Drink lots of water and eat lots of fruits and veggies to combat and headaches you might get.
3) Don't skip meals. If you think it's easier to skip a meal then find something healthy, make sure you have healthy snacks already prepared in your fridge or cupboard.
4) Get rid of all the junk food in the house. If it isn't in the cupboards, you won't eat it!
5) Try to get your family in on it too. It will be easier for you if you don't have to cook 2 different meals every night.
I'll be posting a few healthy recipes and giving a few more nutritional tips in the next few weeks. If you want to join me, comment below! It's always better to do something crappy with someone you like :)