Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

Easy Canvas Artwork

Last week I had a few days of downtime (I love it when that happens!) and decided that it was time to make some artwork for the wall in my kitchen/dining room. It had been sitting empty since May when I took down the massive picture frame that was there and moved it to the hallway. After taking it down, I realized that there were way too many holes in the wall and it looked junky, so I repaired the wall and repainted it. But since then, it's been sitting empty.

I kept looking around at all my favourite decorating stores like HomeSense and Bed Bath & Beyond but I couldn't find anything that I loved and that had the right price tag.

Since I wasn't having any luck at all, I looked around my house and remembered that I had a few leftover canvases that were 16x20. Perfect! I grabbed some paint and when it was quiet during nap time, I got to work.


I didn't really have anything in mind when I painted, I just knew that I wanted softer colours and something more abstract as opposed to me trying to recreate a painting.

I dabbed my brush onto the canvas until I came up with this:


When I looked at the canvas I really didn't like what I had done with the squiggles at all but I didn't want to make any hasty moves just in case I liked it better on the wall. I took a hammer and some nails and put it on the wall and stared at it... and stared some more. I still didn't like it but decided to leave it there for another day. The next day, I still didn't like it so I took it down and repainted it more in the style of the one on the right and I'm much happier with it.

When Bella woke up, she noticed right away and told me how beautiful it was. I love that kid!



It's probably not going to be permanent artwork but right now I like it and it fills up the space on the wall nicely.

Thanks for all your input the other day on different greys! I'm still trying to convince my hubby that grey is the way to go and I'm sure he'll come around soon... Especially when I assure him that he will not have to paint this massive room!




OrganizingHomelife

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. I found your site from Thee Networking Blog Hop! I think art is in the eye of the beholder! I love the colors you chose and think they look great on the wall. I am now following you and look forward to seeing what you will create next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia! The more I look at them the more I love them. Thanks for following us we look forward to "chatting" with you! :)

      Delete
  2. I really like the bright colors, not to mention I think painting is so therapeutic. I might have to bust out my paint brush this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely bust out your paintbrush this week and then blog about it so we can see it!

      Delete
  3. Popping over from The Networking Blog Hop. I am liking these canvases. This would be a great idea for my daughter's bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) What colours are your daughter's room?

      Delete
  4. You made the right choice! I love those! So easy to make for a pop of color! Found you thru the once a month blog hop! New follower! YAY!

    Tif
    Ramblings of a Southern Belle
    http://www.her-southern-ramblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tif! It really was so easy that I'm kicking myself that I didn't do it months ago! I'll be over to check out your blog :) Thanks for following us!

      Delete

Leave us a comment below! We'd love to know what you think. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...