Here's a checklist to help you get started on your spring cleaning this year:
- Use a broom to sweep down ceilings and get rid of those pesky cobwebs in the corners
- Wipe down all ceiling fans and light fixtures using a damp rag
- Wash all windows inside & out if you are feeling ambitious! (I like to use newspaper and a mixture of vinegar and water in a spray bottle to get this job done)
- Launder all curtains & drapes, and dust vertical blinds
- Wash all bedding including bed skirt & mattress protector
- Wipe down walls to remove dirt and grime
- Dust baseboards (I like to use a bounce dryer sheet to do this job), bookshelves, fireplace mantles, & window sills
- Vacuum floors, couches/arm chairs, mattresses, & vacuum under the furniture & rugs
- Wipe down kitchen cabinets (To make dusting the tops of the cupboards easier, cut and fit pieces of newspaper to place on top and tape down with painters tape. The newspaper will absorb the yearly grease and grime that tends to accumulate there, and next time you clean up there just remove the newspapers and voila!)
- Clean your bathroom thoroughly. Clean out the tub and sink drains and pour hot vinegar and water down to eliminate odors
- Replace any burned out light bulbs
- Clean out and organize fridge and freezer. Throw out any expired food, wipe down interior & exterior of the fridge
- Put any snow shovel or snow removal device in storage and get your gardening tools ready for the season ahead
- Pick up sticks or debris on the lawn, and make sure the mower is in working condition (this is the hubby's job :) !)
- Don't forget to open up the windows and let the fresh air in... and maybe play some of your favourite tunes while you get your spring cleaning on!
If there is anything I missed and you might want to add to the list, don't be afraid to do so! It might sound nerdy, but I really do love spring cleaning. Something about getting my home ready for summer and the warm days ahead gets me excited!
Spring cleaning doesn't have to be a drag or a yearly chore you detest. Call one of your best friends up (one who doesn't mind seeing your messy house) and ask for some help! It will give you some company, extra help, and you can return the favour for her!