Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Update on a Dime

I love getting new things. I love going to Ikea and HomeSense and Winners and just picking out lovely new things for my home. Unfortunately, that is expensive and in the winter, when my husband tends not to work as much, we don't have as much cash flow as I would like. So when I need a little update, I check out a few of my favourite websites and start thinking how I can change things up in my home without spending any money. This project is one of those:

                                                                                Source: potterybarn.com via Melody on Pinterest

I love that pillow. It is gorgeous... and expensive. So I decided to make on of my own. I mean, how hard can it be, right?

Here is my finished project:



I raided my craft room closet and found all the supplies that I need to make one of my own.  At first, I was trying to figure out how to get the image on my pillow case.  I thought about printing right on the fabric (yes, it is possible!) but then decided on doing an iron on transfer instead.


I found my monogram from this pin:
                                                                         Source: weddingchicks.com via Melody on Pinterest



Next, I printed it out backwards. That is very important, or else you'll end up with a backwards monogram on your pillow. To make sure, print it out on a regular piece of paper first so that you're sure of how it will look and the size you want. I used this product and was pretty happy with it.
(She really looks excited about her new t-shirt!)
Iron the monogram onto your fabric making sure that you take your time. The more time you spend, the better it will look. I skipped over some areas and now its starting to peel a little bit. Take your time!

Once the transfer has cooled completely, peel off the back and voila! Your new monogrammed pillow. I made my own pillow case but you could do this to any pillow case. Just make sure that your fabric is ok to iron on.

The total cost of the project was ... FREE! I had all the supplies on hand, including the transfer paper which I had originally bought for another project.

Making your own pillows is a great way to get exactly what you want and it doesn't take much time at all. I made this pillow in one nap time. There are lots of great tutorials out there to get you started.

                                                                                    Source: hgtv.com via Melody on Pinterest

What have you been making or decorating this week?

1 comment:

Leave us a comment below! We'd love to know what you think. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...