Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Sleeping Woes

In the last few months, a horrible thing has happened around our house. Bella refuses to sleep past 6 in the morning and a lot of times, gets up even earlier. To me, this is terrible. I am a minimum 8 hours of sleep a night kind of person, plus throw in a teething toddler and being 5 months pregnant. This lady needs her sleep.

Good thing she's so cute!
One night I was browsing Pinterest and I found this handy little thing:









                                                  Source: area128.osx128.com via William Murphy on Pinterest


I liked the idea of it. When you're sleeping, it shows a yellow light, when it's time to get up, it shows a green light. It also teaches time and has an alarm clock built in. I talked to Seth but he was skeptical of it. However, one morning when Bella was up at 3:30am and having a temper tantrum because it was time to be playing, he changed his tune and started trying to find out where we could get it.

I finally bought it the other day and we've been using it for a few nights. The first day it didn't work at all. She didn't quite understand what was going to happen. The next night she actually stayed in her room till 7am! I felt like a new woman.

I understand that it might take a little while longer to get the concept but I'm hoping that this will work for us.

But in the meantime, do any of you seasoned mama's have any good tips for me? I would love to hear anything you have!


2 comments:

  1. oh Melody, I feel you! When Audrey was about 2 1/2, we bought that very same clock and at almost 5, we still use it. As she gets older, she understands the concept even more. It took a good week for her to get the routine, but it seemed to work perfectly for us - we were sure to explain that if she wakes up before her light is green, it's okay to get out of bed and play, but it needs to be quietly and no leaving the room before the green (GO!) light :) Good luck!!!

    I don't know if you have any problems with getting Bella to sleep, but another thing we did is make a "bedtime book" that outlines Audrey's sleeping steps to help set up what comes next and prevent bedtime meltdown tears. It's great for her to go get her book and say "now it's time for stories" vs. us telling her. We used pictures and very few words since she's not yet reading. Maybe I'll do a post on this soon... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amber! We've used the light for over a week now and it seems to be working for the most part! I haven't had too much trouble with putting her to bed but I'm filing away your advice because likely the next two won't have such an easy time of it. Definitely do a post on it!

      Delete

Leave us a comment below! We'd love to know what you think. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...